How to Make a Mini-Comic (Extreme Edition)

So, as you know if you are a regular reader, I managed to scrape together a mini-comic in time for last weekend’s Harbour Con-Fusion. I thought that some of you might like to know how the publishing end of it works, so here is what I did to make the “5 Seconds Summer Fun Special”:

1. Created the pages in Manga Studio. You can do this however you like, of course. You can create your pages digitally from start to finish, or you can draw them on paper the old-fashioned way and then scan them, or you can draw them and make your master pages on a photocopier, which is what I used to do. These days I prefer to do all-digital, because printing and photocopying and re-copying can result in lost gray tones. Plus, it’s the 21st century. :)

2. Laid out the master pages in Adobe InDesign, which is a publishing program. To create a booklet like a mini-comic, you need to arrange the pages so that they will be in the correct order once they are printed and stapled together. So if you have a 4-page comic on a single folded sheet of paper, the master pages will look like this:

Front – Page 4 (L) / Page 1 (R)
Back – Page 2 (L) / Page 3 (R)

The mini-comic I made was 12 pages, which means 3 sheets of paper with the pages figured out as above. An easy way to do this is to create an “ashcan”; take some sheets of paper, fold them the way your comic would be folded, and then write your page numbers on the sheets in sequence. When you’re done, unfold your ashcan and you will see how you will need to arrange your master pages so that you can duplex them (make double-sided copies) correctly.

3. Once the master pages were set up in InDesign, I printed them on my little laser printer. And here is where things got crafty. Because the style of the comic was meant to resemble an old Archie comic, I decided to print it directly onto newsprint. I found some newsprint pads at the art supply store; they were 9 by 12 inches, so I used my guillotine cutter to trim them to 8.5 by 12 inches, so the pages would be narrow enough to go through the printer.

4. Once the pages were printed, I collated them (combined one copy of each page in the correct order) and used my binding stapler to staple them in the center of the sheets.

5. With the comics stapled, I folded the pages in half. It looks like a comic now, but I’m not quite done; because not only did I want the comic to look like an Archie comic, I wanted it to be the same size as an Archie digest. So, back to the guillotine trimmer with the folded copies. I trimmed each to about 4 7/8″ wide by 6 1/2″ tall.

All done! I made about 50 copies altogether. If I ever do another printing, I don’t know if I will do it on newsprint again, but it was nice to make a unique object this time around. There are copies left, so if you want one, email me or leave a comment for details. I’ll be distributing some copies to Maritime comic shops and a few other places in the next few weeks as well, and eventually there will be a PDF available for download here.

Advertisements

2 Comments

  1. Been thinking of printing an ashcan. This was a great post. Printing on newsprint is an excellent idea! How did you avoid bleedthrough?

    Reply

    1. The comic in question was printed on a personal laser printer, so the toner is heat-set and won’t bleed the way inkjet printers would. Photocopying would work too if you can find a copier that allows you to feed the newsprint. Good luck!

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s